If you already have a thermostat installed on the wall and you wish to install a new one, you will have to learn to remove the old one first. It’s quite simple to remove a Honeywell Thermostat.
Now, before ripping the old one out you must make the notes for each and every wiring you pull out carefully. This will help you during fresh installation or replacement.
The following article answers all your questions related to the process of how to remove Honeywell Thermostat.
We will walk you through different ways and techniques of safely removing your Honeywell thermostat without any hassle.
Basic Thermostat Wiring
To remove a Honeywell Thermostat, you must be aware of its wiring in general so that it isn’t so complicated thereafter.
Usually, a Honeywell thermostat consists of a few low-voltage wires powered by a furnace circuit. These wires are commensurate with various parts of the HVAC system.
You need to make sure that the wires are connected appropriately while you are installing a new Honeywell thermostat.
The wires on your Honeywell thermostat are color-coded according to the industry standards:
- White: Heating system.
- Yellow: Compressor.
- Green: Fan.
- Orange: Heat pump if there is any.
- Red (H): 24 VAC transformer for the heating system.
- Red (C): 24 VAC transformer for the cooling system.
- Blue: Common or “C” wire.
How to remove an old square thermostat from the wall?
The first thing you need to make sure of before starting to remove your thermostat is that you have shut the circuit breaker off for the whole HVAC system.
Also, make sure it’s turned off so that you experience no shocks when you touch the wires.
If you own an old thermostat then that might consist of a glass vial with mercury inside of it. You must be very careful while handling it so as to not break the glass vial.
Additionally, you do not want to just throw your old thermostat in the trash. This might cause the mercury vial to break which is hazardous for the environment.
You can always contact the local waste management authority to help you find a suitable place where you can dispose of the thermostat by complying with the state regulations.
To begin with, take off the visible part of the Honeywell thermostat from the wall to reveal the wires and the bracket. Some thermostat models can be pulled off from the wall directly.
You have to pull it out firmly but make sure you don’t rip the base out from the wall in doing so. In other models’ thermostats come with a button or some latch. In such thermostats, you need to press down on them to release the cover.
You should see the wires and terminals by now. In case you don’t see the wires, you must find a plate screwed into the place. You can remove this with the help of a screwdriver.
How to remove cover/wall plate/faceplate from Honeywell thermostat?
First and foremost, the thing you need to do while attempting to remove the faceplate is to turn the thermostat off. You must flip the breaker powering the HVAC system to remove the cover or to check the wiring.
Hence, you must affirm that the power is turned off before you begin.
For most models of Honeywell thermostats, you need to pull the cover off to remove it. Other models come with clips or tabs which have to be pushed in order to release it.
Before you pull the cover, you must look for clips or tabs or a finger hold that will indicate to you how to remove the wall plate. If you are not careful then you might damage the cover.
Press down the tabs or the finger holds that you see and then try pulling the cover out from the wall straight. You pull it at an angle it may damage the cover. You can wiggle carefully as you pull to separate it from the base.
In case there is too much resistance and you cannot get the cover off, then you should go through the manual for further instructions or guidance.
Honeywell thermostats come with a user manual both paperback and online. You need to find the model number of your thermostat which is usually given on the front of or on the interface of a digital thermostat.
Some models of Honeywell thermostats need a different technique to remove the cover plate. The 3000-pro series of Honeywell thermostats require you to pull on the bottom of the thermostat to separate it from the wall.
You need to pull it firmly at the bottom but not that hard or otherwise you will break it. This will help you release the thermostat gently from the wall plate.
After you are done with working with your thermostat you can simply push back the cover in its place in the reverse order. You can do this by just pushing the cover onto the wall plate straight, in most models.
Once the process is completed you can turn the thermostat on.
How to remove the Honeywell pro series 3000 thermostat from the wall?
- First, you need to find the switch on your circuit breaker that is associated with the heating system. This number will be the same as the number next to the circuit breaker.
- Turn off the switch. You must disconnect the power from the thermostat.
- To replace the thermostat, you need to unscrew every terminal using a Phillips screwdriver to make sufficient room for you to pull every wire out. Pull the wires until they are entirely removed from the terminal.
How to remove an old round Honeywell thermostat from the wall?
If you wish to remove your old round Honeywell thermostat from the wall you should follow the steps mentioned below in the exact order:
- Turn the power off to the cooling/heating system from the main fuse or the circuit breaker panel.
- Now gently remove the cover of the old thermostat. If the cover is locked down you will have to unscrew it.
- Find the heat anticipator adjustment lever and scale on your old thermostat.
- Now remove the old thermostat by unscrewing the wall plate from the wall. Make sure you do not disconnect the wiring.
How to remove the schedule on/from the Honeywell thermostat?
To remove the schedule on or from the Honeywell thermostat you need to press down the “HOLD” button you will see on your Honeywell thermostat in order to clear the existing schedule.
You can also clear the schedule by pressing the “Schedule” on the menu and then selecting “Schedule Off”.
In the Honeywell thermostat with a smart Wi-Fi feature, you need to click on the “Preferences” and then select “Restore Factory Defaults” to remove the schedule set previously.
How to remove wires from the Honeywell thermostat?
Honeywell thermostats are designed in several different wiring techniques. Mostly the wires are held in one place with a tiny screw.
For these screws, a small head screwdriver by Phillips comes to be really useful. A small regular screwdriver is quite convenient to unscrew while removing the wires from an old thermostat.
Other Honeywell thermostat models come with push-in terminals with a release button. You need to press the button gently with a thin pointed object or with a nib of a pen or even a small head screwdriver to release the wire.
We suggest you take a picture of the old wiring system of your thermostat before you remove it from the wall plate. You will have to record this configuration in the Lyric application.
This will help you figure out how to wire your Lyric thermostat properly.
How to remove the metal jumper from the Honeywell thermostat?
The metal jumper is quite easy to remove connected to the “R” and “RC” terminals on the wall plate of your Honeywell thermostat.
In case you cannot locate the jumper installed by the factory, you can use a short piece of wire instead.
How to remove sleep mode from Honeywell thermostat?
To disable the Sleep Mode from the wireless keypad on your Honeywell thermostat you need to press the star key and hold it down for about 5 seconds.
Pressing the star key will send a status request to the alarm panel for such action. Hence, it will not go to sleep mode if it is connected by a K0991 AC transformer.
How to remove the Honeywell thermostat from the account?
To remove the Honeywell thermostat from your account you will need access to that account.
You can delete the thermostat from that account simply by logging into your My Total Connect comfort account. After logging in, select the “MY LOCATIONS” option on the top of the screen.
Now select the cogwheel that says “SETTINGS” and then scroll down. Find the MAC ID and CRC number of the thermostat.
How to remove a thermostat from Honeywell total connect?
To remove your account with My total Connect Comfort follow these steps:
1. log in to your My Total Connect Comfort user account
2. Click on “My Account” listed in the Menu bar.
3. Now Select “Edit my Profile” listed in the “My Profile” section
4. Click on “Delete My Account”
5. Enter your password and then click on “Submit”
How to remove the permanent hold on the Honeywell thermostat?
To remove a permanent hold on your Honeywell thermostat follow the steps mentioned below in the exact order:
- Go to the home screen of your thermostat where you will see a Permanent Hold notification on the display.
- Press on the Plus/Minus sign (+/-) or up/down button. In other models, you may need to hold this button for about 5 seconds, or the permanent hold display.
- Lastly, you need to press the “CANCEL” button which will disable the permanent hold on your Honeywell thermostat. Now for some models, the options might vary depending upon their features.
How to remove a Honeywell RTH8500D thermostat?
If you wish to remove a Honeywell RTH8500D Thermostat, then follow the steps mentioned below:
1. Turn the power off at the fuse/circuit breaker panel or heating and/or cooling system.
2. Now you can remove the cover from the RTH8500D thermostat.
3. Remove the old thermostat from the wall or wall plate. Make sure you do not remove the wiring.